Help Needed- Sports Analysis Project

Discuss your favourite sports and all of your favourite teams here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Help Needed- Sports Analysis Project

Postby G-Man on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Hey all! I'm an unapologetic statistics nerd and am working on a pretty sizeable undertaking and I need a little input to make sure I'm going about it the right way.

In America, there are a number of cities that tout themselves as the best sports city in the country. Fans especially like to claim their city as the top for a specific sport or for major sports alltogether. I am curious enough to try to figure out what city, from a quantitative standpoint, can actually claim such titles.

I'm building a spreadsheet/database, in which I will be collecting and comparing statistical information for a variety of North American major league sports. I'd like to get some other opinions and feedback on the following:

1) What sports to include?
Right now, my goal is to collect info on teams in the MLB (baseball), NBA (basketball), NFL (American Football), and NHL (ice hockey). Those are the four biggest sports in the America-Canada region. Should I include minor league sports teams? I know some cities have major and minor league teams. I was thinking of just including the top of the ladder so to speak. Does that make sense? But then what about sports like Soccer, Lacross, Arena Football, Women's sports? Where should I draw the line with this?

2) What statistical information should I track?
Here's what I've thought of so far:
-Regular Season Wins
-Regular Season Losses
-Regular Season Ties
-Playoff Wins
-Playoff Losses
-Playoff Ties (if such a thing ever existed)
-Win Percentage
-Playoff Appearances
-Championship Appearances
-Championships Won
-Last Place Finishes
-Winning Seasons
-Losing Seasons

Any other suggestions?

3) How should the data be used to evaluate the teams/cities?
I'm thinking I'll need to convert a lot of these statistics into percentages for fair representation. For example, a city that has only had a baseball team for 30 years will likely have far fewer wins and losses than a city with two baseball teams or a team that's been around for 100 years. Should things like winning percentages then be averaged across the multiple sports teams? Would that add a level of fairness for cities with only two or three sports teams as opposed to 4, 5, 6, or 7? Or should cities with multiple teams get some kind of 'bonus points' for having extra teams? Does the presence of multiple teams indicate any more passion for the sport/sports than a city with just one sport/team?

Also, should a city lose 'points' if a team moves to another city?

Thanks for any input! This is a project that will take me a lot of time to compile but I'll gladly share my results with you all here! Who knows, maybe I'll be able to add an international component later on down the road.
G-Man
VIP

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Help Needed- Sports Analysis Project

Postby ChrisP on Sun May 06, 2012 2:53 pm

I'd Include college sports aswell.. NCAA Basketball and College football probably.

Would also include soccer, as it's pretty much the 5th biggest sport in america now.
Sawyer: You're in my light, sticks.
Shannon: Light sticks? What the hell is that suppo--
Sawyer: Light. Comma. Sticks. As in those legs of yours
ChrisP
Stunt Double

Return to Sports