Thoughts on season 7

General discussion for 'Dexter'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Thoughts on season 7

Postby dutchie on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

So, now thats it over, what do you think of this season(if there is anyone left to discus)?

For me, it started pretty good. Nice focus on Deb and Dex. Isaak was something different for once, but then came Do the Wrong Thing, and the dullest and most forced love story ever with Hannah, whom I also found dull. I loved her on Chuck, but on Dexter she was as terrible as Shaw was on Chuck. Too much focus went to Dexter and Hannah and thats when the season went down the toilet.
And the finale, what to think of it, damn. Poor LaGuerta, she was just doing her job. And damn, what Deb did, maybe Dex will realize that there is one person in his life who does everything for him, and that is Deb. That last scene said so much about their bond. He was willing to die for her and she was willing to kill for him.
But Hannah, couldnt she just rot away in prison?
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Thoughts on season 7

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:22 pm

It's one of my favorite seasons, but the finale for whatever reason I have yet to pin point, kind of left me dissatisfied, but perhaps it was meant to.

I liked how the season had so many twists and turns all the time, because it allowed for it to be very unpredictable. The writers IMO were extra cheeky with characters being shifty, some situations coming out of left field, and finding a new way to look at Dexter, but finally take a closer look at Debra by really challenging her.

I loved Isaak and I enjoyed and felt for Hannah. I though Quinn's storyline was the least interesting, although I was sure he was going to die this season and the wammy with Jamie at the end, has me really reel'n about the state of this reality...

I think killing LaGuerta was a given, but I find the circumstances of her death unexpected and horrifically sad, because there isn't any real justice in it, since Debra panicked, didn't think there was any other solution, immediately regretted it, and because Dexter showed Debra no affection/compassion in the wake of her crossing a line.

I'm confused if Hannah actually poisoned Debra or not, because although she tells Dexter she had, the scene with her and Debra almost seemed to suggest Hannah gave Dexter a false confession to spare him his feelings...otherwise I don't think she could accuse Deb of doing something and being a big hypocrite, which Deb often is.

There were lots of tie-backs and juxtapositions to characters and ideas presented in other seasons like Sal Price and Gabriel with themes of "Ice Princess". The character continue to do things that don't make sense, which I find very amusing.

I am curious what the next season will bring and if Deb will ever be the same again, or is that reached a revelation about herself that she had been in denial about, not just being in love, but being a killer?? What will Hannah do now? I am anxious for the next season...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm

As for the Deb poisoning, It never even crossed my mind that Deb would do this to herself. Who would risk their own life, or others, with a car crash. She could have left Hannah to die a few episodes back. And Scott Buckley(is that his name?) even said so in the podcast after ep 11 that Hannah poisoned Deb.

Quinn, what a waste of space. And it looks like they are setting him up with Jamie...great...

I dont think Deb can ever be the same, same goes for Dexter. He was shocked to see what Deb did for him. Maybe now, after all the crap and mistakes he has made he can finally see,that what he does affects the people in his life. He should have seen it when Rita got killed, but he didn't. But now that its about Deb, maybe.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:30 am

dutchie wrote:As for the Deb poisoning, It never even crossed my mind that Deb would do this to herself. Who would risk their own life, or others, with a car crash. She could have left Hannah to die a few episodes back. And Scott Buckley(is that his name?) even said so in the podcast after ep 11 that Hannah poisoned Deb.

Quinn, what a waste of space. And it looks like they are setting him up with Jamie...great...

I dont think Deb can ever be the same, same goes for Dexter. He was shocked to see what Deb did for him. Maybe now, after all the crap and mistakes he has made he can finally see,that what he does affects the people in his life. He should have seen it when Rita got killed, but he didn't. But now that its about Deb, maybe.

Thanks for telling me S.B. said that. I rarely listen to podcasts for Dexter. -Personally I think Deb has some real stability/attention issues and has never been level headed, so I could see her do it.

But I think she def crossed a line and I think it will be very interesting to see where they both go from here, but boy considering she used her own service weapon, she's already the worst accomplice ever! :lol:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

But I must say that Scott Buck has been saying all sorts of things lately(and in the past) and they are different every time. The guy talks out of his arse most of the time, it seems.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 pm

dutchie wrote:But I must say that Scott Buck has been saying all sorts of things lately(and in the past) and they are different every time. The guy talks out of his arse most of the time, it seems.

I kind of thought the same thing a few times, because half the things said don't make a lot of sense to me, but whatever :lol:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:51 am

Started VERY strong, the first 4 episodes were some of the best in the series in my opinion. I really loved Isaak and thought the actor playing him was fantastic.

And the Dex met Hannah. :|

And then the writers killed off Isaak, one of the most ruthless killers we've seen on the show, in the stupidest way possible. Robbing us of a fascinating relationship between him and Dex, and their brilliant scenes together. :|

The writers really dropped the ball here. I'm disappointed. We've seen what a great show Dexter can be, the quality of writing they are capable of, the amazing actors they have, and they just keep screwing it up. *sigh*

Oh, and Quinn. Need I say more?

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby dutchie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 am

Finli Otego wrote:
And then Dex met Hannah. :|

I always zoned out during their scenes together. The stupid games on my phone were always more interesting than these two. They bored me so much.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Dogma9 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54 am

dutchie wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:

I always zoned out during their scenes together. The stupid games on my phone were always more interesting than these two. They bored me so much.

Gotta agree here :lol: I've never been a fan of Dexter's relationships though. I think the shows better when he's working on his own and fighting his own tumorals/challenges.

And I get them wanting Deb and Dexter to be closer and kind of forced to work together next season, but did anyone else think it would of been more powerful/suspesneful if Dexter ended up killing LaGuerta, breaking his code instead of Deb doing it for him? :S.

I guess i'm just shocked they didnt want to give that challenge to Dexter(The main character) instead of Deb. OTHER then that it was a pretty good season overall. :thumbup: Curious to see how the last season plays out.
thanks to XTS

:haha: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :w00t: :taz: :batman: :taz: :gunsmile: :tank: :guns: :music: :boat:
Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby dutchie on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 am

Dogma9 wrote:
dutchie wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:

Gotta agree here :lol: I've never been a fan of Dexter's relationships though. I think the shows better when he's working on his own and fighting his own tumorals/challenges.

And I get them wanting Deb and Dexter to be closer and kind of forced to work together next season, but did anyone else think it would of been more powerful/suspesneful if Dexter ended up killing LaGuerta, breaking his code instead of Deb doing it for him? :S.

I guess i'm just shocked they didnt want to give that challenge to Dexter(The main character) instead of Deb. OTHER then that it was a pretty good season overall. :thumbup: Curious to see how the last season plays out.

Dexter always gets of easy. There is always some woman out there who will do the deed for him.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Return to Dexter Discussion [No spoilers!]